Wednesday 3 April 2013

Frankenstein's Pepper

I've been growing my chillies, sweet peppers and aubergines in a heated propagator on the windowsill in our office.

I like to check my seedlings very regularly (at least twice a day but much more if its a bank holiday or a weekend).  On one of these visits I didn't notice that I replaced the lid on the stem of my favourite sweet pepper "Sweet Chocolate".  At the time it was the only sweet chocolate capsicum that had germinated so naturally I was devastated - but in the next moment I had one of those.... What if moments.

What if I push the stem of the part that snapped off into the soil.  It works for tomatoes so I wonder if it works with peppers - they share the same family after all.

I am pleased to report that it worked and my sweet chocolate is happily growing more new leaves and romping away.

Sadly the stem that was left over hasn't really turned into anything but I'm very pleased that the sweet chocolate survived and that crudely shoving the broken stem into the soil was so successful.


3 comments:

  1. I did the same thing with one of my rocoto chillies. It was decapitated in a freak book avalanche o_O I shoved the shorn off foliage into the soil and... it's not dead yet, so there's still hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great news that this works especially if my chilli germination problems continue. I have a plant from last year and two new ones I've been given that I can try taking cuttings from :) Thanks Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma - really hope your chilli made it.

    Alison - Good luck with your chilli germination. I find heat helps with the germination. My chilli germination was patchy at best until I bought a really basic heated propagator. I'm sure putting a propagator on top of a flat top radiator should do the trick.

    ReplyDelete