Tuesday 24 May 2011

The garden's starting to look lush again



Lately I've been feeling like the garden's starting to take shape and look like a well populated edible garden again.  Through the winter months I only had chives, rainbow chard, rosemary, sage, garlic and a trough of carrots/parsnips I  planted last spring.  Now as I stroll through my garden having a nose at what's going on its starting to feel... well like I have company again!



The tomatoes are starting to come along



the strawberries are making an appearance (these arrived just last week from bare root stock)


the french beans are climbing away,



the peas are flowering (I really like raw peas!).  I've counted 6 flowers so far and they've grown another foot since my pea blog 10 days ago.


 
the turnips are sprouting,





The pepper plant has lots of flowers.  (I think this is a capsicum judging by the leaves, it just sprouted from some soil and last year I grew both chillies and capsicums)




the tops of the potatoes are huge and look like they want to escape the potato bag I planted them in!

.... it really feels like my edible garden is starting to happen.



I am currently eating chard salads, radishes and making tea from the garden (mint and lemon verbena).  My cooking is being flavoured with chives, basil and coriander.



Every day I water and I look out for anything new - seeds that have sprouted, any new leaves, flower buds, etc.  I like this habit as it also means I spot the pests early and the aphids are enjoying this time in my garden as much as I am - squishing fingers at the ready (I garden organically).



I'm experimenting with turnips for the first time this year.  They came in a lucky dip seed packet from the Heritage Seed Library.  Normally I wouldn't choose them as my parents didn't grow this vegetable on the small holding when I was a child so it just isn't a habit in my family to grow them, but as I had some seed it was too good an opportunity to grow some and try it for myself.

Last week I sowed some Kai Lan seeds.  They came highly recommended by Mark Diacono and are perennial.  I am currently very interested in perennial edibles, especially plants that have ornamental appeal as well as the essential edible appeal.  I am always inspired to try new edibles, but the ornamental factor is inspired by my day job in my local garden centre.  The punters like things that look pretty.  If you have discovered any good perennial edibles lately, please do let me know as I love to experiment.  Even better if they can be grown in pots :)

No comments:

Post a Comment